... THE FAUX FAE - Faux meaning an imitation - Fae meaning fairy = I'm a fairy wanna-be!

... Subjects to include: All things Romantic, French, Cottage, and Shabby Chic, my life and humor.

Sunday, January 27, 2013

My First PROPER Quilt

It will  be my first PROPER quilt.  I say proper because I don't think my first 2 quilts would qualify as, PROPER.

I made my first quilt as a teenager.  I made it out of old blue jeans and to "quilt" it I just tied yarn in knots at each place the four corners of the blocks connected.  That is how my great grandma Campbell did it and I wasn't aware there was any other way.

My second quilt is a doll quilt I made about 20 years ago.  Here are some pics of it and the coordinating cross stitch pillow I made:





OMGosh!  Would you look at those crooked lines! ROFL
I did ALL the stitching on my sewing machine.  Nothing was hand stitched.

I am also working on quilted pot holders and will post those when I get them finished.

That is the total hands-on experience I have with quilting so far, but I have a plan for one that I'm going to share with you today.
This is the basic layout of my log cabin quilt.

This is the lengths I will use to create each block.
Left - without seam allowance   Right - with seam allowance


And this is my calculations to figure out how many pieces I need of each color and each size.

I found this image on Flicker and now I may rearrange my four corner groupings to make the cross instead of how I originally laid it out.  I guess I will get the blocks created first and then lay this out like this lady did and decide which I like best.  Here is a link to the pic in her Flicker stream.

In the blocks that will be one solid piece of fabric, I plan on quilting (by hand I might add) some pretty designs.  In surfing the net I have found the following pics that have inspired me: [if any of the following pictures are yours, please let me know and I will give a link and credit to you]

















So, as you can see, I tend to gravitate towards hearts and feathers! lol

If you have any advice for me, please leave me a comment below!  I love to read your comments!

Well, hopefully I will finish the first 2 pair of potholders tomorrow and get them on here for you to see soon.  In the meantime though,........

......thanks for stopping by and Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and always look forward to reading them! Thank you!