... THE FAUX FAE - Faux meaning an imitation - Fae meaning fairy = I'm a fairy wanna-be!

... Subjects to include: All things Romantic, French, Cottage, and Shabby Chic, my life and humor.
There was an error in this gadget

Sunday, January 27, 2013

My First PROPER Quilt

It will  be my first PROPER quilt.  I say proper because I don't think my first 2 quilts would qualify as, PROPER.

I made my first quilt as a teenager.  I made it out of old blue jeans and to "quilt" it I just tied yarn in knots at each place the four corners of the blocks connected.  That is how my great grandma Campbell did it and I wasn't aware there was any other way.

My second quilt is a doll quilt I made about 20 years ago.  Here are some pics of it and the coordinating cross stitch pillow I made:





OMGosh!  Would you look at those crooked lines! ROFL
I did ALL the stitching on my sewing machine.  Nothing was hand stitched.

I am also working on quilted pot holders and will post those when I get them finished.

That is the total hands-on experience I have with quilting so far, but I have a plan for one that I'm going to share with you today.
This is the basic layout of my log cabin quilt.

This is the lengths I will use to create each block.
Left - without seam allowance   Right - with seam allowance


And this is my calculations to figure out how many pieces I need of each color and each size.

I found this image on Flicker and now I may rearrange my four corner groupings to make the cross instead of how I originally laid it out.  I guess I will get the blocks created first and then lay this out like this lady did and decide which I like best.  Here is a link to the pic in her Flicker stream.

In the blocks that will be one solid piece of fabric, I plan on quilting (by hand I might add) some pretty designs.  In surfing the net I have found the following pics that have inspired me: [if any of the following pictures are yours, please let me know and I will give a link and credit to you]

















So, as you can see, I tend to gravitate towards hearts and feathers! lol

If you have any advice for me, please leave me a comment below!  I love to read your comments!

Well, hopefully I will finish the first 2 pair of potholders tomorrow and get them on here for you to see soon.  In the meantime though,........

......thanks for stopping by and Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and always look forward to reading them! Thank you!