... THE FAUX FAE - Faux meaning an imitation - Fae meaning fairy = I'm a fairy wanna-be!

... Subjects to include: All things Romantic, French, Cottage, and Shabby Chic, my life and humor.

Friday, May 31, 2013

Dog Treat Recipes



I’m back again today with my dog treat recipe (I know, I know, FINALLY!  Am I right? lol)

I started with some recipes I found on Pinterest, but I didn't want to add any corn meal or flour, so I changed it up and combined a couple different recipes until I came up with my own concoction and my fur baby, CupCake, simply LOVES them!

Here is my basic recipe:


Ingredients:
1 egg

1¼ cups fat free milk (I use 1% because that is what we keep on hand)

1 tablespoon honey

4 tablespoons bacon fat (you can reduce this amount if that seems too much)

¼ cup bacon, crumbled

3 1/4 cups quick oats

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.

2. Use a large bowl and whisk the egg, milk, honey, bacon fat, and bacon together.

3. Stir the oats in, ½ cup at a time until full mixed in.

4. Knead the dough until fully combined.  If the dough is too “doughie” keep adding more oats until it is the consistency of cookie dough.

5. Roll the dough out onto a lightly floured surface into a rectangular shape.

6. Slide the rectangle onto a lightly greased cookie sheet, or use parchment paper instead of greasing, and bake for 30 to 35 minutes.

7. Let cool on the cookie sheet until only warm to the touch.


8. Using a pizza cutter, cut lengthwise into long pieces of the size of snack you want for your size of dog.  I have a small dog so I usually cut them into ½” rows.  Then use the pizza cutter to cut them widthwise into the exact size you want.  This is the easy way.  You can however cut them with a cookie cutter BEFORE you bake if you so wish but that’s just too time consuming for me.

9. Once completely cool, scoop the treats up and put into a zip lock bag and store in the refrigerator for up to a week.  Do not store outside the refrigerator or they will mold after only a couple days!  Since I have a small dog, this recipe makes too many for her to eat in one week (plus she is on a diet!) so I store them in the zip lock bag in the freezer.  I believe she thinks she is getting people food because I pull them out of the freezer! lol  Plus, now that it's summer time, it gives her a cool alternative to traditional treats.


Variations:
  • Replace the bacon and bacon fat with sausage and sausage fat
  • Replace the meat and fat with 1 cup of peanut butter
  • If your dog is lactose intolerant, replace the milk with applesauce.


As I come up with other variations I will add them here on the blog for you!  If you try these please let me know what your fur baby thought of them!  CupCake refuses the peanut butter ones if she thinks I have any of the meat ones, but once she realizes I don’t, she gobbles them up! lol

I am currently working on a couple new lampshades and I should be able to post them within the next week.  I've been very busy with my school work, but it's paying off as I currently have a 4.0 grade average!!!!  Oh, and don’t forget,  once I reach 50 “likes” on my Facebook page I will be holding a giveaway!

Thanks for stopping by and Happy Crafting!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and always look forward to reading them! Thank you!