... THE FAUX FAE - Faux meaning an imitation - Fae meaning fairy = I'm a fairy wanna-be!

... Subjects to include: All things Romantic, French, Cottage, and Shabby Chic, my life and humor.

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

My Adventures in Quilting Part 1



First, I wanted to say, if you haven’t joined my blog yet, you will need to do so sometime this year before my blog’s one year anniversary!  I will be having some sort of giveaway but you will have to have joined my blog ->>> (right there) through Google Friend Connect to be eligible!  Just wanted to give everyone a heads up, as I know I have a lot more followers than those who have actually joined my blog!


Today I wanted to show you the quilted potholders I made to match my kitchen.  I have decorated with Corelle’s old pattern of Blue Hearts.  I wanted to make the potholders in a blue heart pattern of some sort.  I have another set that I’m also going to make later on and will share those with you when I do them.


Now I'm not going to post step by step pictures because there are already a host of great tutorials out there on the Net.  BUT, I will list links to the ones I found and read and felt were useful information for the beginning quilter like me.

But first here are pics of my completed pot holders.  I took several pics of the backs so that maybe you can see the quilting I did on that side.







Here is the design I quilted on the back.
I found it at Munnich Design

Next, I wanted to show you what I've done so far with my quilt!

 These are the fabrics I pulled out and plan to use. 


 This green is what I wanted to use but it turns out I don't have enough!!!! :(

 This is a great material I plan to use for some sort of clothing.  It is so pretty!

This is the pink center I plan to use in each pieced block. 

 I've pieced together the first two pieces that form the center of each block. 

  And here they are after I have added the next piece.

That is all I have done so far.  I really don't care for them so I stopped.  I will be debating on if I want to abandon them to a different project in the future or if I will go ahead and use them for my quilt.  I will keep you apprised of my decision once I make it.

In the meantime, here are some great links I found useful in reading up on how to quilt!


Understanding Quilting Fabric Sizes - I was totally confused by Jelly Rolls and Honey Buns and Layer Cakes and Turnovers until I found this page.

Quilting Glossary - Good to have in your favorites if you run across a term you aren't familiar with.

How to Make a Quilt - This is the page where I found a wealth of info.  It is on ask.com and if you scroll down the page, there is a link for everything you can think of that you would need to know before you attempt to quilt.  Mattress sizes, pre-wash vs no pre-wash, working with colors, fabric grain, chain quilting, and the list goes on and on.  And every page you click through to, there will be another link you want to read!  I kept right clicking all the topics I wanted to read and then clicking 'open in new tab'.  I had so many tabs open it took me hours to get through them! lol  But I did and I learned a lot!

Well, that's it for today!



Thanks for stopping by and Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and always look forward to reading them! Thank you!