... THE FAUX FAE - Faux meaning an imitation - Fae meaning fairy = I'm a fairy wanna-be!

... Subjects to include: All things Romantic, French, Cottage, and Shabby Chic, my life and humor.

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Homemade Laundry Liquids



I know that everyone seems to be doing this now but for those of you who know me personally, I thought my endorsement would mean more.  I originally found these recipes on “One GoodThing By Jillee”

I have been using the fabric softener for months now and I really like it.  Here is my version:

You will need one container (approx. 2 cups) of hair conditioner (the cheaper the better I always say.)
3 cups vinegar
1 Tblsp Downy UNstoppables (for scent)
6 cups hot water

That's it, not complicated at all.



First take the scent beads and put them into a gallon container (I used up the last of my vinegar with this recipe so I just used that.)  Add 1 cup of the hot water and shake it up.
Try to leave it alone until the beads have completely melted.
After they have melted, add the conditioner, vinegar and the rest of the hot water and shake it a bit to mix (it will foam a bit.)
Pour into upcycled containers (I use empty coffee creamer containers.)
 This recipe will fill 3 coffee creamer bottles.
My dryer exhaust smells soooooo good when I use this!
Just be sure to give it a shake or two before you pour it into your washer.  I use about a 1/4 cup per load.

And I have been using the CONCENTRATED liquid laundry detergent for a couple months and it works as well, if not better, than the expensive stuff I have used for years!

Here is the recipe for the detergent:
1 cup Borax (you can find it in the laundry isle)
1 cup WASHING Soda (also in the laundry isle)
1 cup dish soap (I used generic and it doesn't make any difference. Just be sure you like the smell of the one you choose.)


Add the 3 cups of ingredients to a gallon or larger container.  I re-use my ERA detergent container because it's convenient to dispense the liquid with.  Also, I cut the bottom off of a coke bottle and use it for a funnel as I don't have one! LOL

 Add 4 cups hot water and cap the container.  Swish the ingredients around inside the container to mix them together.  Finish by filling the container the rest of the way to full.  You will get foam.  Once that comes up and out, I stop adding water. 
 Recap and it's ready to use! I use about a 1/2 cap full per load.
Just be sure to give the containers a shake or two before you dispense them into your washer.

BTW, I use this in my front-loading HE washer.


I know this wasn't a craft, but you have to admit you feel accomplished after you make these!

Check back tomorrow for the whitening solution recipe that I found that works really well!

Thanks for stopping by and Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and always look forward to reading them! Thank you!