... THE FAUX FAE - Faux meaning an imitation - Fae meaning fairy = I'm a fairy wanna-be!

... Subjects to include: All things Romantic, French, Cottage, and Shabby Chic, my life and humor.

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Whitening Brightening Solution




So, I have used white shop towels in my kitchen for years.  It's really nice until they start getting stained and lose their bright white-ness.



Here is my recipe for getting them white again: (also from onegoodthingbyjillee.com)


HOT HOT HOT water
1 cup of laundry detergent (I used the homemade I posted yesterday)
1 cup powdered dishwasher detergent
1 cup bleach
1/2 cup borax


So, add the ingredients to your bucket and add the hot water but leave room for your towels and socks.  
Since I have a front-loading washer, I had to do this in a bucket.  If you have a top-loading washer, just fill 1/3 full of hot water then turn off and add the ingredients to the water then let it agitate to mix it up before you add your whites.




 I don't think the pics really show you how bad my whites were.
 And I forgot to take after pics so there isn't anything for you to compare these to! lol  SORRY!








But this pic shows how BAD my white were!  YUCKO!

I let them soak for about an hour and then transferred it all to my washer.  I even put the whitening solution in there but the first thing my washer did was to empty it all out! ROFL  So much for that idea!
 I then added more detergent to the reservoir and put my homemade fabric softener in too.

Like I said, I forgot to take after pics but my new white towels came out pristine and my old grungy white towels were a TON whiter! Although I will have to do this another time or two to get them white enough to satisfy me.  Maybe I should have let them soak longer but the water was so disgusting I had to rescue them from it! ROFL

That's it for today!
Thanks for stopping by and Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and always look forward to reading them! Thank you!