... THE FAUX FAE - Faux meaning an imitation - Fae meaning fairy = I'm a fairy wanna-be!

... Subjects to include: All things Romantic, French, Cottage, and Shabby Chic, my life and humor.

Friday, August 24, 2012

Current Projects


I have gotten into the habit of prowling the local thrift stores. I must say I am surprised at the prices in some of them!  They must think their junk is made of gold based on the prices they are asking now-a-days. I can remember you could pick up stray vases and other glass pieces for .25 or .50 cents each.  Now they are asking $3 and $4 or more!

But I digress (and I do all the time so please forgive me in advance.) **eye roll**

Anyway, I have found several lovely pieces that I see great potential in and have started working on a couple of them. Since I only started this blog a couple days ago, I don't have before pictures for all of them but I will explain what I have done with them so far.


First is this lovely little doll bed:

It was completely plain when I purchased it. I sanded off the varnish finish then white washed it. Then, since I didn't have any pink paint, I took a pink ink pad and stained most of the white wash pink.  Then I sanded a bit to rough it up and make it look more vintage.  That’s where I am now with it. I don’t have any wire hangers so I need to find someone who does. I am going to take the wire and fashion a canopy frame for the bed. I will also make a mattress, pillows and canopy cover with lots of girly pink and lace. The vision in my head of what it will be is very lovely.  Now to find that wire!

Here is my next project. I bought this off ebay for $16 with the intention of keeping it for myself.  I’m not sure if I will or not. So far I had to take out the top of the first shelf because it had warped a tad bit. 




I took the wood and soaked it in water and set it outside in a tub with a brick on top hoping it will soften up enough to straighten back out. We will see how that turns out.  **fingers crossed**










I can’t decide if I want to sand off all the printing and indents in the front of the drawers or not. I was thinking of leaving them be and only refinishing the actual box a shabby chic looking white or blue (the only two shades of paint that I have right now.) The jury is still out on this one. I’m still toying with ideas in my head of what I want it to look like when it is finished.















My next 2 projects have not been started at all.  The first is a cute little jewelry box and the other is a vintage Kiwi Shoe Shine Kit box.  

I see great possibilities buried in them both. But I promised myself I wouldn't start with them until I finish some other projects first.   I need to get busy!
Happy crafting!




Thanks for stopping by and happy crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and always look forward to reading them! Thank you!